Boy has this word been a big part of me and my business the last few months. Many things to overcome, obstacles to face and defeat, life to battle and conquer.
But first, let’s take a look at this fantastic word and what it means…
What is ‘Overcome’?
- Succeed in dealing with a problem or difficulty
- Defeat an opponent; to prevail
- (Of an emotion) Overpower or overwhelm
- To surmount; to prevail over, to get the better of
- To overwhelm with emotion
- To come or pass over, to spread over
- To over flow, to surcharge
So according to those Overcome is to succeed or prevail over a difficult problem, obstacle, or emotion.
Overcome is such a powerful word and is used in many ways:
You see it on posters, pamphlets, spoken and more. Overcome is a fabulous word with man uses as well as, for many of us, has a speacial meaning.
Many people use the word overcome as an encouragement when going through hard times, struggles, abuse or any other obstacle they are facing. The way they go about it may differ, but everyone has overcome some sort of obstacle in their lives, whether large or small. Not one obstacle is more prominent or difficult than any other. It depends on who’s looking at it in order for them to defeat it. While people may find themselves in a similar situation, the outcome or the way they overcame thier obstacle is all theirs.
We encourage and motivate not only others, but ourselves to overcome daily obstacles. A fight we had with our spouse, getting the children to school on time, a flat tire, or worse. There are days when life seems like everything we do is against us, while other days nothing could go wrong. And then thre are those days where it begins one way and ends the other. I know I’ve experienced that and my day ended on the bad side.
We as a race, gain inspiration from hearing, seeing and experiencing the defeat of our own personal monsters, as well as those of others. When we hear of others or even think back on what we’ve done within the last year, month or even week, we can inspire ourselves to move forward. Hey, if we’ve already defeated some of those monsters, why wouldn’t we be able to defeat new ones?
To Tell Stories
As an author, I know my first series as well as my stand alone pertain to overcoming something from the character’s past whether that’s people who harmed them, the darkness that surrounded them, or relatives that feel they were the reason for their loss.
We tell stories to relay information, to hand down moral values, and so much more. Stories are what people can escape to, relate to, and gain inspiration, encouragement, and motivation from. Characters face obstacles we may or may not ever face, but they are always able to push through, forge ahead, and overcome their battles.
Of course, thier lives are at the discretion of the author who created them, but we are not. We have the choice to let those small (or large) things bring us down or to become a knight, a dragon, or a wizard and overcome the battles life have thrown at us.
How to Overcome
There are many ways you can overcome whatever obstacles you are facing. You just need to find what is right for you and find a way to make that happen. Here are some examples…
- Seclusion ~ Sometime being alone can do wonders for the mind and body. When you can think on the problem and only the problem without all the other things in life vying for you attention you may be able to overcome the obstacle.
- Deep Breaths/Meditation ~ As with seclusion, meditating or even taking a few calming breaths can rejuvenate your mind to look at the situation more clearly.
- Run at it Full Force ~ With other obstacles and problems, you may need to face them head on to get them taken care of so you can focus on other things.
- Speak with Another ~ Talking out your struggles with another may help find a solution faster, two (or more) heads are better than one!
- Take a Break ~ Sometimes it’s best to take some time for yourself. Regroup, relax, and come back to the problem later. If you walk away from the issue for a bit (if you can do that) it may clear your head. When you return to the problem, you’ll look at it with fresh eyes, ready to battle once more.
- Find the Purpose of the problem ~ When you understand exactly what the problem is and why the problem exists, you can discover the solution to resolve the problem.
I am Overcoming…
Life has been good and bad for me. The beginning of the year was fabulous until I hit late February when things began to fall apart. My husband was working all hours, homeschooling was a struggle, traveling down to watch my sisters kids for weeks on and off, and trying to keep up with all of my writing goals were not making it.
I was so far off, I had to completely revamp my schedule and push some projects off until next year to be able to handle what was important to me and the goals I wanted to accomplish this year.
The point is, sometimes life with throw a wrench, a boulder, heck even a house or skyscraper into your plans, but it’s up to you how to handle the situation. Overcome the obstacles or allow them to bury you so deep you can’t climb out.
What will or are you overcoming at this point in your life? I would love to hear your story and give you some encouragement as you defeat your monsters no matter how small.